Friday, July 18, 2014

Just don't.

You can probably tell by now that I love my lists or slideshows - easy things to read and digest (no pun intended) - without dedicating a lot of time to get to the meat (pun intended) of the article. In a recently read "14 foods nutritionists ever eat", it is stated: "Many nutritionists will tell you that they're big advocates of the 'all foods fit' approach to healthy eating--the idea that even things like cookies, cakes, and candies have a place (albeit in moderation) in an overall healthy diet". 

My mother has ALWAYS preached "moderation", which I think is a generally good rule to follow. What's interesting about the rest of the article, is that there are still foods (14 to be exact) that these folks DO NOT eat.

Here are those foods listed - with my commentary. Click on the link above for their more... scientific commentary.


1. Processed and/or canned meat and cheese

2. Non-dairy creamer: Can I get a "hell yeah"? This is crap.
3. GMO's: Can I get a "no duh"?
4. Pepperoni
5. Diet Soda: Again, duh! Aspartame, people!
6. Maraschino cherries
7 & 8. Cold cereal & fat-free dairy: Yes, loaded with sugar & good fats are stripped. Raisin Bran has almost as much sugar as Lucky Charms!
9. Soda
10. Fluorescent orange crunchy snacks
11. Artificial sweeteners: ASPARTAME KILLS BRAIN CELLS

12. Bacon: I found this sort of surprising. We all know it's bad for you, but it's something everyone likes, right?
13. Hot dogs
14. Sugary beverages: My only disagreement here is that they mention "coffee", but don't differentiate between just plain old black coffee - my choice - or a sugar-laden, non-dairy coffee creamer shit-in-a-cup. Those are very different. 
Just go for a nice cup of black coffee, rather than the high sugar, high calorie stuff.
You get the benefits of the caffeine, without the side effects of high sugar intake (aka, the crash).

In fact, years ago I gradually worked my way towards black coffee. It's something you may have to work towards. If you use cream and sugar, slowly wean yourself to less and less. Try a flavored coffee like hazelnut or snickerdoodle. Then start mixing these flavored kinds with a light roast. Then eventually just go to a light roast... you get it. I brewed at home to make sure I could play with my amounts, before even flavored coffee was too sweet for me, and now I'm a full-time dark roast, black coffee lover. Stauf's or Grandview Grind are two great places to get beans, and they can help you figure out what mixtures work best.


Basically? All the food-like substances they listed here are highly processed, nutritionally devoid, and loaded with chemicals. Even, when eaten in moderation.

2 comments:

  1. I'm 12 for 15, but this makes me want to expedite my plan to become Vegetarian (no bacon, processed meat, hot dogs, etc.). That would make me 15 out of 15!!! Crazy to think I was 0 for 15 about 3 months ago :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me so happy to hear, Matt!!! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete