Monday, July 14, 2014

Sloppy Joe, Slop-Sloppy (tofu) Joe

Like most things on this blog, I can't take full credit for what I'm sharing. I can only take credit for liking the idea so much, I want to share it. That, and putting my own spin on it. 

The "it" in this post, is a fantastic Tofu Sloppy Joe. The idea is not new, and the recipe I have for you is a spin on what my beautiful friend and fellow veg Rachel made for me a few months ago. I've since made my own version more than a handful of times. So, here is my Meatless Monday gift to you - tofu even your meat-loving boyfriend (or whomever) - will like (Adam's first reaction to this was, "damn, this is really good!". While you can use any Sloppy Joe recipe, here's my favorite. 


Warning: I don't use exact measurements. The beauty of tofu is that it absorbs flavors, etc. so you start with whatever you think is reasonable, and adjust based on coverage. Picture below has my favorite brands.

Ingredients:
  • extra firm Tofu (I highly recommend Twin Oaks, from Whole Foods)
  • Worcestershire sauce
  • 14-20 oz. jar Diced Tomatoes
  • ketchup
  • onion, chopped
  • pepper, chopped (optional)
  • garlic, minced (2-3 cloves)
  • other spices: cumin, chili powder, salt, cayenne pepper, etc.
  • olive oil


Directions:

  • Start by heating your olive oil at the bottom of a large skillet on medium heat. Just use enough to lightly cover your garlic, onions, and pepper.
  • Saute your onions, pepper, and garlic until somewhat soft. Add the desired amount of Worcestershire sauce. I usually add about 3/4 C (keep out, because you may add more later).
  • Soon after, add ketchup - approximately 1/4 C, then all of your diced tomatoes. Let that cook through, 3-5 minutes. Season with desired spices.
  • Now comes the tofu. The brand mentioned above doesn't need to be drained or pressed (that's the beauty). Take it out of the package, and begin crumbling into small pieces. Stir occasionally as mixing to make sure it's covered.
  • Once fully crumbled, stir well and heat through. I usually let it cook down 5-10 minutes, and you'll know then if you need to add more sauce, ketchup, etc. Stir occasionally. Season again if needed.

The nice thing about this recipe, is you don't have to make sure your meat is cooked well enough before you eat it. So there's no required time limit to cook - just until you think it's ready to eat!

Throw it on a toasted bun and you're good to go. Adam made a great kale and arugula salad to pair ours with last night. Enjoy!

P.S. This makes GREAT leftovers. In fact, I just received a text from Adam that said "Second day sloppy joe so good!" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment