Friday, June 20, 2014

Beef: It's what's for dinner??



I stopped eating meat two and a half years ago as a personal choice. While I added back in fish every now and then (mostly in sushi form), I also occasionally crave things like buffalo chicken dip and sausage gravy (nothing but the best, obviously).

But seeing this latest article by NPR - after the original "scandal" two years ago - I am SO glad that I don't have to worry about ingesting things like THIS.


If you've ever watched the documentary Food Inc., you know about the ammonia treated - stuff - that most major companies added to their ground beef. Mostly added as a filler so that meat could be sold cheaper, once consumers caught wind of this crap and boycotted, many big retailers took it out of their meat. But now that beef prices have risen to up to $4.00 a pound, many have added it back in. Luckily some big box groceries, like Kroger, have chosen to keep their meat filler-free.

I would prefer to keep this - and any ground meat - out of my diet. But, for those of you who like your beef, might I recommend going to a local and/or organic meat market to get your goods?

Here's the full story on NPR's The Salt:  http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/06/17/322911060/pink-slime-is-making-a-comeback-do-you-have-a-beef-with-that 

No comments:

Post a Comment