Monday, June 30, 2014

One Sad Stick

I would imagine by now, most of us know American portion sizes are distorted from what is actually a true serving. This shouldn't come as a surprise though, because restaurant servings and packaging of store-bought foods are very misleading. Restaurants give us enough food for essentially 3-4 meals in one sitting, and even your favorite bottled tea is typically more than one serving per container.

This first link is a video of serving sizes vs. our reality. This is tragic for things like guacamole and peanut butter, two of my favorites. I know better, but I still eat more than two tablespoons of peanut butter in one sitting. Although, I would rather you go crazy with guac or a good PB than Lucky Charms or Oreos, but I digress.

Below is a cheat sheet that I found that I think is a fun image to remember what serving sizes we should be dishing out on our plates. 



Another trick: use a smaller plate. By using a salad (or child's) plate, you can't load up on as much in one sitting... and you have time to think before overeat OR grab seconds.

This second link has three more ways to think about your portion / serving sizes. Just a good reminder to eat the right things, in the right way (not that we're not going to splurge on Jeni's every now and then...)

Reminder / disclaimer: I'm not perfect - and I hope you all know I don't think I am. These blog posts are as good as a reminder to ME as it is informative for YOU. :)

2 comments:

  1. Like the visual...I need to work on this. I read (CDC) that adults are on average 26 lbs heavier than in the 1950s...crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this graphic too! We need to print this out and put in the kitchens at work.

    ReplyDelete